Problem with SQLite detection

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu May 28 16:54:57 IST 2009

Just came back from vacation and updated MailScanner on the first machine.
It started barking about SQLite. I had to disable the SA cache db and the
processing-messages database.

First some observations which might call for slight improvements:

It took me some time to find the correct config line to disable it. The
error mentions "processing-messages database", but the config doesn't
contain this sequence at all. I suggest either renaming the error message
to point to "Processing Attempts Database" (which would go to the next
config line) or mentioning "processing-messages database" in the
description of the "Maximum Processing Attempts" config option.

Also, I got a bit confused first by the wording "Set this to 0 to disable
the limit.". I mean, even if disabled MS could still track and use the db.
It might help to rephrase it to "Set this to 0 to disable the limit and
the Processing Attempts Database."

MailScanner --lint reports:
DBD::SQLite initialisation failed: Can't locate object method "driver" via
package "DBD::SQLite" at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-
thread-multi/DBI.pm line 770.

Perhaps the capitalisation of DBD 'SQLite' isn't right. at
/usr/sbin/MailScanner line 1684

And then the --lint errors out at this stage and doesn't finish. Should it
really do this?

Now for the problem itself.
It seems the problem may lie in the rpmforge-packaged module I use. If I
downgrade the new version 1.25 to the old available version 1.14
MailScanner -v starts detecting DBD::SQLite again and the use of the
databases works.
I notice "6-4 Corrected DBD-SQLite packaging error." in the changelog.
Jules, could this have anything to do with the problem? I mean did you
correct a problem from upstream or in your own packaging only?

In order to find the nature of the change in the rpmforge packages it
might be helpful to know how the detection of the modules in MailScanner
-v works. Thanks.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany