spamhaus-ZEN is found but no points are awarded?

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Tue May 26 16:02:02 IST 2009

2009/5/26 Remco Barendse <mailscanner at barendse.to>

> Actually, in my sendmail configuration i use
>        bl.spamcop.net
>        cbl.abuseat.org
>        dnsbl.njabl.org
>        chinanet.blackholes.us
> to completely block e-mail coming from these sources (hope i am not
> overblocking but no complaints so far).
>
> I included spamhaus-ZEN in my MailScanner.conf (to avoid generating too
> many lookups which might block me from using the free use policy as i heard
> that people get blocked for anything way below the limits posted on their
> website) and i was hoping that it would improve the accuracy of my bayes
> database.
>
> This means that effectively i only have one list to check by SpamAssassin
> but it should score it.
>
> If nobody is including any scores for ZEN, should i also include that in my
> block lists then instead of using it from MailScanner?
>
> I would prefer to not stop blocking spam at MTA level to avoid the spam
> "hold" storage from overflowing (the mail partition only has 2TB of free
> space) :)
>

> On Tue, 26 May 2009, Julian Field wrote:
>
>  Also, by doing a SpamAssassin check on a message which was already found
>> in a "Spam List", you are just wasting CPU and network resources doing a
>> large check on a message, for which you then ignore the result anyway
>> (normally). So you might want to consider switching off the SpamAssassin
>> check on hosts found in Spam Lists.
>>
>> On 26/05/2009 12:35, Martin Hepworth wrote:
>>
>>>  Remco
>>>
>>>  This is because MaiLScanner is doing the spamhaus check and not
>>>  spamassaddin - ie it's defined in Mailscanner.conf in the "Spam List"
>>>  option.
>>>
>>>  Autowhitelist results vary - I find for a large ( > 10) mixed user base
>>>  it's not good and soon false positives badly.
>>>
>>>  --
>>>  Martin Hepworth
>>>  Oxford, UK
>>>
>>>  2009/5/26 Remco Barendse <mailscanner at barendse.to
>>>  <mailto:mailscanner at barendse.to>>
>>>
>>>     I did a bare metal new installation of MailScanner. Everything
>>>     seems to work ok but i am curious about one thing.
>>>
>>>     MailScanner checks the message against spamhaus-ZEN and finds it
>>>     is listed but there is no score awarded to the e-mail.
>>>
>>>     Why is this? Now the spams are scoring lower than they should and
>>>     they are now slipping through because they are just below the high
>>>     scoring mark :

>>>            SpamAssassin (not cached, score=9.763, required 6,
>>>     DCC_CHECK 3.00,
>>>            FH_HELO_EQ_D_D_D_D 0.50, FH_HOST_EQ_VERIZON_P 1.10,
>>>            HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR 2.94, HTML_MESSAGE 0.00, RCVD_IN_PBL 0.51,
>>>            RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL 1.61, RDNS_DYNAMIC 0.10)
>>>
>>>     And i guess that adding some points for ZEN listing should also
>>>     help in getting the database improved?
>>>
>>>     Then a slightly different question, is using use_auto_whitelist a
>>>     good idea?
>>>
>>>     Thanks list!
>>>     --

> [...]

Remco
Adding that info in MailScanner.conf does NOT affect spamassassin in anyway
at all. This is purely for MailScanner to call the RBL and will have zero
effect on spamassassin's view of the email.

If you want spamassassin to call the rbl then you need to make sure you are
calling the RBL feature within spamassassin and also I suggest you turn off
most of the other RBL's (by giving them a zero score) to save alot of time.

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK