"Remove These Headers" not working

Hilario Fochi Silveira hilario at soliton.com.br
Wed May 20 02:58:44 IST 2009

Hello,

Installation details: RHEL5.3 with cPanel and MailScanner Front End
(configserver.com)
MailScanner is running ok for more than one year.
Our server uses the "Remove These Headers =
%rules-dir%/remove.headers.rules" setting to eliminate inbound return
receipts requests while allowing outbound receipts headers to stay intact.

Two weeks ago after upgrading to version MailScanner - v4.76.24 we
begun to notice that some inbound emails were asking for return receipts.

We played a lot with the rules file without success and as a
temporary solution, we replaced the per domain rules file with the
the following single line instruction:

Remove These Headers =
/Confirm-Reading-To:|Delivery-Receipt-To:|Disposition-Notification-To:|Errors-To:|MDRcpt-To:|MDSend-Notifications-To:|Read-Receipt-To:|Receipt-Requested-To:|Return-Receipt-To:|Status:|Smtp-Rcpt-To:|X-Acknowledge-To:|X-Confirm-Reading-To:|X-IMAPBase:|X-IMAP:|X-Keywords:|X-Mozilla-Status:|X-Mozilla-Status2:|X-PMrqc:|X-Spam-Processed:|X-Status:|X-UID:|X-UIDL:/

This solution is working, we have no receipts at all both inbound and
outbound, but we wish to regain the fine granularity control we once had.

The original rules file uses spaces to separate the headers.
The typical per domain lines we had in the remove.headers.rules file were:

# For each domain: