Too Large or Too small or neither?????

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 6 20:46:57 IST 2009

On 06/05/2009 15:49, Mike M wrote:
> Mike M wrote:
>> After updating to 4.76.23 from 4.74 today I had some users complain
>> about not getting some messages.   Here is a portion of the error
>> they get:
>>
>> <snip>
>> The original e-mail message, or an attachment it contained, was too
>> large and has been removed.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> At Tue May  5 13:15:51 2009 the content filters said:
>>    MailScanner: Attachment is too small
>>
>> <snip>
>> ---------
>>
>> All of the messages I've looked at with this problem appear to have
>> both text and html versions.   There's an example of a quarantined
>> message at: http://pastebin.com/dc6ed9a1
>>
>> If it would be helpful to see the qf file just let me know.
>>
>> I have changed the min attachment size from 1 to 0 for now so that
>> hopefully these messages can go through, but I don't know what it is
>> about these html emails that is triggering the attachment size
>> filter. Oh and MailScanner --lint shows no errors.   Any clues??
>>

> CORRECTION: It is happening to just plain text messages as well.
> What should I be looking for to determine why Mailscanner is thinking
> messages have 0 byte attachments when I can't find anything in the qf
> or df files in the quarantine that look like any sort of attachment is
> included with the email?
>
> Does the fact that the error message states that the attachment is too
> large in one spot and too small in another indicate anything special
> that might point me in the right direction to troubleshoot?    I've
> been using MailScanner for years and have never had a problem
> upgrading countless times before, but this is occuring on more then
> one server since I upgraded yesterday.

I'll need to take a look at this, and try a 0-byte attachment and see
what happens.
To disable the tests, set
Maximum Attachment Size = -1
Minimum Attachment Size = -1

Please read the docs carefully and ensure you are setting the values
appropriately.
What is the precise case that you think it is handling incorrectly?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng
Follow me at twitter.com/JulesFM