Syslogging broken - culprit found

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Mar 27 01:11:18 GMT 2009

On 3/26/09 10:28 PM, Tom Weber wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 26.03.2009, 19:34 +0000 schrieb Julian Field:
>
>>> Is it only showing up in Debian?
>>> I don't have any problems in CentOS, maybe something is broken in a Debian
>>> perl module or the Debian package. Or maybe the Debian package inits too early
>>> and breaks something there?
>>>

>> I would be very interested if you could narrow this down. It has *never*
>> (to my knowledge) occurred in a RedHat or CentOS Linux system, nor any
>> other Unix system at all. It only appears to be a few Debian Linux guys
>> who have the problem. I must admit that does rather tend to point the
>> finger...
>> There is nothing in MailScanner that will make it "run to mummy" and
>> syslog to "mail" rather than what you request in the config file. Feel
>> free to read the code in "Log.pm", you can read it just the same as I can.
>>
> I narrowed it down.. took me half the day. I have debian systems where
> it works and others where it doesnt. Same (relevant) packages etc.
> Stracing, trying comparing etc finally led me to the culprit:
> razor (2.85 here)
> and only if you have
> logfile = sys-syslog
> configured in /etc/razor/razor-agent.conf (on debian at least).
>
> Without looking at the code, since my eyes are about to finally freak
> out now, i guess you integrate the razor perl modules directly in
> MailScanner which then initialize/openlog the Syslog again and mess it
> up.

I don't call Razor at all, I leave SpamAssassin to do that. I suspect
that it's just the SA initialisation call that is screwing with it. I
could always just call the Log::initialise function again after
initialising SpamAssassin, that *shouldn't* have any major consequences.
> Maybe someone else wants to verify this on a non debian system too, but
> i'm quite confident that this is the cause for the behaviour.

Please can someone do this for me?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng