Syslogging broken - culprit found

Tom Weber l_mailscanner at mail2news.4t2.com
Thu Mar 26 22:28:42 GMT 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 26.03.2009, 19:34 +0000 schrieb Julian Field:
> > Is it only showing up in Debian?
> > I don't have any problems in CentOS, maybe something is broken in a Debian
> > perl module or the Debian package. Or maybe the Debian package inits too early
> > and breaks something there?
> >
> I would be very interested if you could narrow this down. It has *never*
> (to my knowledge) occurred in a RedHat or CentOS Linux system, nor any
> other Unix system at all. It only appears to be a few Debian Linux guys
> who have the problem. I must admit that does rather tend to point the
> finger...
> There is nothing in MailScanner that will make it "run to mummy" and
> syslog to "mail" rather than what you request in the config file. Feel
> free to read the code in "Log.pm", you can read it just the same as I can.

I narrowed it down.. took me half the day. I have debian systems where
it works and others where it doesnt. Same (relevant) packages etc.
Stracing, trying comparing etc finally led me to the culprit:
razor (2.85 here)
and only if you have
logfile = sys-syslog
configured in /etc/razor/razor-agent.conf (on debian at least).

Without looking at the code, since my eyes are about to finally freak
out now, i guess you integrate the razor perl modules directly in
MailScanner which then initialize/openlog the Syslog again and mess it
up.

Maybe someone else wants to verify this on a non debian system too, but
i'm quite confident that this is the cause for the behaviour.

regards,
  Tom