Can be done with mailscanner ?

Sergio Rabellino rabellino at di.unito.it
Mon Mar 23 19:40:52 GMT 2009

Eduardo Casarero ha scritto:
> 2009/3/23 Sergio Rabellino <rabellino at di.unito.it>:
>
>> Sorry if I bother you with this question, but i've not found any config line
>> explaining anything similar to the following:
>> if I would remove ALL the attachments from ALL messages, then archive the
>> attachments into a web accessible filesystem, and substituting every
>> attachment with a link to the hashed (secured with an hmac) web storage,
>> this can be done now with MS?
>>
>> Maybe a different behaviour if the mail is coming out or getting in would be
>> useful, or different by domain. The Inboxes will be smaller, and if I
>> receive an attachment directed to 500 users, i will store only one copy of
>> the attachment.
>>
>> What the list think about ?
>>

> it's an interesting view, it would be like an "uploadbin" but its
> usefull? thinking in the user view, how can i search a file in a bunch
> of links? having an uploadbin server separated from your mail server
> would not be better? giving some training to your users might be more
> usefull, that trying to do it with mailscanner.

Yes, it's the same idea, but automated by the mail server, the user does
not do any special action to get the same behaviour as "uploadbin".
For the second question, if I search my messages, if the "link to my
attachment(s)" is filled also with some metadata that describe the
attachment, it's pretty the same. Thunderbird does not search within an
attachment, or i'm wrong ?
> I did a custom patch in the uploadbin code, that after you upload the
> file you could specify the email of the people that had to download de
> file, so you did not have to send a email, the system did that and
> send de proper links.

In my mind, I don't want change the usual way my users send or receive
emails with attachments, neither send two emails, one with the
attachment(s) and one with the things around the attachment(s).
> hope my english was not too rough :P

better than mine :-)

<http://www.di.unito.it>