Can be done with mailscanner ?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Mar 23 19:23:37 GMT 2009

On 23/3/09 19:02, Sergio Rabellino wrote:
> Sorry if I bother you with this question, but i've not found any
> config line explaining anything similar to the following:
> if I would remove ALL the attachments from ALL messages, then archive
> the attachments into a web accessible filesystem, and substituting
> every attachment with a link to the hashed (secured with an hmac) web
> storage, this can be done now with MS?
Not right now, no. Certainly not without some Custom Functions being
written for you, anyway.

> Maybe a different behaviour if the mail is coming out or getting in
> would be useful, or different by domain. The Inboxes will be smaller,
> and if I receive an attachment directed to 500 users, i will store
> only one copy of the attachment.
If you use a decent mail store, just as Cyrus (or heaven help us,
Exchange) then only 1 copy of the message is ever stored anyway, as all
the other copies of the message are just hard-links to it (in Cyrus).
Exchange implements a similar space-saving tactic in its internal database.

> What the list think about ?
>
> As usual, thanks to JF
Thanks!

Jules.
> and the others programmers for MS.
Don't forget Glenn and the other people who help me out with various
parts. They help me a lot :-)
> --
> Ing. Sergio Rabellino
>
> Università degli Studi di Torino