Too many attachments - Enhancement request

Brad Beckenhauer bbecken at aafp.org
Wed Mar 4 22:46:29 GMT 2009

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Brad Beckenhauer wrote on Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:37:45 -0600:
>
>> maillog.1:Mar 03 00:00:34 mxxx MailScanner[26495]: Too many attachments (221) in 382851CA8007.738AC
>>

>> At first I thought it was the "Maximum Attachments Per Message" in
>> MailScanner.conf, but that was set to '200'.
>>
>> Maximum Attachments Per Message = 200
>
> well, and that message contained 221 according to MailScanner.
>
>> Also, how is the MailScannerCounter of 221 in the message log useful?  How is it used for debugging?
>
> This is the number of attachments!
Good to know..

> You say it's only 40. Recheck and if it's still only 40 there might be a bug in
> the counter. But this "max unscanned" stuff has *nothing* to do with it.
> Read the explanation in the .conf.
Now I am suspicious about the counter.  I've looked at another email
that was tagged as having "Too many attachments".   MailScanner reports
it has (236).  I've released that attachment and counted the email myself.

Lyris (the List Server) generates a summary email and Lyris reports that
the email had 62 total email in the Digest.  Only two of the email in
the digest had file attachments (a pdf and a gif).  The count is way
short of the 236 count reported in the maillog and the 200 in
MailScanner.conf.

I've added myself the listserver and added a ruleset that Dennis
suggested. By Friday, I'll have a couple of digests.

Brad