Crash protection

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 14:04:44 GMT 2009

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Julian Field wrote:

> I have just released version 4.75.2, which has the new feature some
> people have been asking for.
>
> Implemented crash-protection, by limiting the number of attempts made at
> processing any given message. There are 2 new configuration settings:
> "Maximum Processing Attempts" which is set to 6 by default, and
> "Processing Attempts Database" which is set to
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/Processing.db by default.
> To disable this feature, just set "Maximum Processing Attempts = 0".
> To clean out the database, just stop MailScanner and delete the database
> file.

Excellent development!  Glad to see my idea coming to fruition.  Thanks.

I see you are now up to 4.75.5 .  I've just installed it on a test server.
But I suppose it's only really going to reveal its strengths (and possible
issues yet to be shaken down) on a production machine.

Given that I was a chief requester, naturally I feel honour-bound to help
test it.  Could you give an indication of your production-level confidence
in the code?  How high up the inbound MX-priority-tree should I reasonably
think of installing it at present?

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :