Spam but no randomly no Spam Report

Gary Faith gafaith at asdm.net
Fri Jun 26 17:50:40 IST 2009

It that is true, then why aren't the SA scores a constant value?

Here are the reports from 3 recently received messages:

Spam: Y   Action(s): store, deliver, header, "X-Spam-Status:, Yes"
High Scoring Spam: N
SpamAssassin Spam: N
Listed in RBL: Y
Spam Whitelisted: N
Spam Blacklisted: N
SpamAssassin Autolearn: N
SpamAssassin Score:1.77
Spam Report:spam, SBL+XBL

Spam: Y   Action(s): store, deliver, header, "X-Spam-Status:, Yes"
High Scoring Spam: N
SpamAssassin Spam: N
Listed in RBL: Y
Spam Whitelisted: N
Spam Blacklisted: N
SpamAssassin Autolearn: N
SpamAssassin Score:0.92
Spam Report:spam, SBL+XBL

Spam: Y   Action(s): store, deliver, header, "X-Spam-Status:, Yes"
High Scoring Spam: N
SpamAssassin Spam: N
Listed in RBL: Y
Spam Whitelisted: N
Spam Blacklisted: N
SpamAssassin Autolearn: N
SpamAssassin Score:3.09
Spam Report:spam, SBL+XBL

Notice that each of these messages have isspam = 1 and isrblspam = 1, ishighspam = 0 & issaspam = 0 but each have a different SA score.  My point is something is assigning a value to the SA score but nothing besides "spam, {RBL Listed} is being reported.

Gary

2009/6/26 Gary Faith <gafaith at asdm.net>:
> [...]
> High Scoring Spam: N
> SpamAssassin Spam: N
> Listed in RBL: Y
> Spam Whitelisted: N
> Spam Blacklisted: N
> SpamAssassin Autolearn: N
> SpamAssassin Score: 3.09
> Spam Report: spam, SBL+XBL
>
> I confirmed that the database shows spam, SBL+XBL only.  Problem that I see
> is that there is nothing in the spamreport field to explain the 3.09
> SpamAssassin score.
>
> Gary

> Aha, well done for tracking down that case, I've been looking for that
> bug for ages.
> Due to your diagnostics I now have what should fix it.
>
> Please try the attached patch to
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm and then restart MailScanner.
>
> Thanks for helping!
> Jules.
>
> On 26/06/2009 05:08, Gary Faith wrote:
>> Follow Up!  After doing more digging, I believe that I have found the
>> common thread when the problem occurs.  The spamreport field only
>> seems to be blank when isspam & isrblspam flags are set.  If issaspam
>> and/or ishighspam are set then spamreport has data.
>> isspam    tinyint(1)            =1
>> ishighspam  tinyint(1)       =0
>> issaspam  tinyint(1)          =0
>> isrblspam  tinyint(1)         =1
>> spamwhitelisted  tinyint(1)    =0
>> spamblacklisted  tinyint(1)    =0
>> sascore  decimal(7,2)      some value
>> spamreport  text   {Empty}
>> I hope this helps shine light on my problem.  Any ideas why this is
>> happening?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gary

>> Running MailScanner 4.75.11 on SLES 10 SP2 X86_64.  When viewing the
>> information via MailWatch, I see the following on the details page:
>> SpamAssassin Spam: Y   Action(s): store, deliver, header,
>> "X-Spam-Status:, Yes"
>> High Scoring Spam: N
>> SpamAssassin Spam: N
>> Listed in RBL: N
>> Spam Whitelisted: N
>> Spam Blacklisted: N
>> SpamAssassin Autolearn: N
>> SpamAssassin Score:1.66
>> The problem is Spam Report is blank.  This happens on a few seemingly
>> random messages while most have something in the spamreport field.  I
>> have verified this in the database that it definitely null.  Any
>> reason why all the data except the spam report would be logged to
>> mysql?  Could this be a spamassassin timeout problem?
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gary Faith
>
> Jules
>
> --
> Julian Field MEng CITP CEng
> www.MailScanner.info
>
> Need help customising MailScanner?
> Contact me!
> Need help fixing or optimising your systems?
> Contact me!
> Need help getting you started solving new requirements from your boss?

It's listing this as spam as mailScanner is using the SBL+XBL RBL as a
definite source of spam. ie MailScanner is calling the RBL (not
spamassassin) and is it therefor saying it's spam.

Spamassassin is saying it's only scoring 3.09 which isn;t enough for
SA to classify this as spam as far as SA is concerned.

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK