Question on reducing load on MailScanner machine

Richard Thompson rich at a1computer.com
Thu Jun 25 21:09:32 IST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Christopher
Fisk
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:37 PM
To: mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info
Subject: Question on reducing load on MailScanner machine

I saw a similar post in the archives recently, but the discussion didn't go
very far.

http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2009-June/092018.html

I'd like to expand the question a bit.

Lets assume I have a single server handling MailScanner (& SA & ClamAV) and
the postfix/courier servers.

The MailScanner queue is reaching 300+ at times, giving a short delay
between the server receiving the message and MailScanner scanning it.

If I were to NFS/SMB mount both the MailScanner install directory and the
hold queue directory from another machine and startup another MailScanner
process, will I run into issues where both MailScanners are trying to scan
the same messages and cause problems?  Or would MailScanner be smart enough
to know that another MailScanner process is scanning a given message?

This is on Linux 2.6 and ext3.  Filesystems and kernel versions can be
changed as needed.

I have a few extra servers I can quickly put in place and would rather do
that than purchasing an entire new server for this.

The MailScanner book doesn't have any information on this type of
configuration unfortunately.

Thanks!

Christopher Fisk

--

I had this happen to me last year, I moved the RBL check to the MTA
(sendmail) and it has been working great since.  Now 98% of my spam is being

Rich Thompson