Load sharing techniques

Joey Casas Joey.Casas at nexusmgmt.com
Thu Jun 4 15:38:27 IST 2009

I am new to this list but have been working with MailScanner for a few years now. With the recent (re)uptick in spam volumes, and increased rules to cope with new techniques, we are having general performance "problems" with our current hardware. Mainly, increased queue size and associated delays during peak times.

Currently I have a basic round robin setup between three MailScanners and two external IPs that forward to all servers. I might be getting more "mediocre" hardware soon and I _can_ simply add them to the NAT pool. However, the servers are all of different capabilities and generally I have one or two servers that accumulate larger queues than the others. Average mails per second are very similar (MS1 .69, MS2 .74, MS4 .75).

I also have some pretty fast RAID 5 disk that I can NFS or iSCSI mount - which leads me to my question. Has anyone done a "shared queue" setup where multiple servers look to the same mqueue to scan and what problems could be foreseen? I imagine maybe file locking, header accuracy, etc...

Thoughts, or concepts I might read up on?

Thanks for any input!
Joey Casas
Linux Engineering Team
n|m Nexus Management
4 Industrial Parkway
Suite 101
Brunswick, Maine 04011

Tel (US)	: 1 207 319 1105
Tel (UK)	: 0207 100 4968 x421
Cell (US)	: 1 207 607 1047
Fax		: 1 207 725 8552
SIP: 0421 at pbx.nexusmgmt.com
Nexus Management, Inc.│ Registered Office:  4 Industrial Parkway, Suite 101, Brunswick, Maine.  04011│Company No. 19891257D, Registered in Maine│ A member of the Nexus Management Plc group of companies