Enabling MailWatchLogging function causes reduced batch sizes

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Jun 9 10:59:20 IST 2009

Zaeem Arshad wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am running MS 4.75.11 and will be upgrading to 4.77.x over the
> weekend. I have been playing with MailWatch and I have noticed that as
> soon as I enable MailWatchLogging Custom function, the batch size drops
> down to 1-6 messages per child causing a great amount of stress. Batch
> size jumps backs to 25 (the configured value) as soon as I disable
> MailWatchLogging.The system is a respectable Dual Quadcore Xeon with 8
> GB RAM running CentOS 5, Postfix 2.5.6, SA 3.2.5 and Perl 5.8.8.
>
> Any ideas why is that happening?

No - the MailWatch functions do not affect batch sizes.

MailScanner children scan the inbound directory every 6 seconds by
default; any messages not locked by other children are automatically
picked-up at that time regardless if the batch size is smaller than your
configured maximum.

Regards,
Steve.