Installation on Fedora 11

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jul 1 18:21:54 IST 2009

On 01/07/2009 17:56, The Antique Centre wrote:
> I have struggled to install MailScanner on Fedora 11
> The switch of rpms within Fedora to i586 means that the install.sh
> script picks up the default architecture (on my machine) as being i586.
> This means that at the end of the script it attempts to install
> tnef-1.4.5.i586.rpm, but the one within the MailScanner tarball is
> tnef-1.4.5.i386.rpm.
> I could have either altered the install.sh script or just have
> installed tnef-1.4.5.i386.rpm manually, but found an rpm from
> http://hany.sk/~hany/RPM/doors14.0-i386/tnef-1.4.5-1.fc10.i586.html
> <http://hany.sk/%7Ehany/RPM/doors14.0-i386/tnef-1.4.5-1.fc10.i586.html> and
> added this instead to satisfy the rpm installation
> I now have MailScanner installed and it starts OK without any errors -
> but have not yet had time to try it out
> However, one of the perl modules just will not compile correctly
> perl-IO-1.2301-4.src.rpm
> no matter what I do
Don't worry too much, you probably have a very recent version of Perl's
IO module installed anyway. You can find out your version of it by doing
"MailScanner --version".

At some point I will try the build on FC11 and see what works and what
doesn't and try to fix the outstanding problems.

It's generally considered a pretty bad idea to run a MailScanner server
(which after all is a core production server in your setup) on something
which has such a short life as Fedora.
Please note this is *NOT* a cue for a flame war.
In 18 months time at most, you'll have to totally rebuild it all on the
next version of Fedora in order to keep getting security patches and
updates. A far safer move, which will cause you no more work now and a
lot *less* work down the line, is to use something like CentOS 5.3, for
which there will be patches for plenty of time yet. There are a bunch of
MailScanner users who are very keen on running it on Fedora, but this is
generally frowned upon by any of us who do this on a large scale for a
living. Do you really want to have to rebuild everything every 18 months?!

> But - does this matter if MailScanner installs OK and starts OK ?
> I have read on the Fedora website that it can be built if the
> Buildarch parameter is deleted or commented out - but how do I do that?
You have to mess with the spec file and rebuild the RPM from that, which
is probably unnecessary. I wouldn't worry about it :-)

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng
Follow me at twitter.com/JulesFM