Email causing MailScanner to go defunct.

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Fri Jan 23 16:21:19 GMT 2009

Steve Campbell wrote on Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:22:33 -0500:

> I mentioned this problem in my "Just an observation" thread a week or so
> ago. I found that it sometimes would not get delivered at all. I never
> did find out why. I was under the impression that the conf setting was
> to indicate the amount of an email to check by SA, not that if the email
> were larger, it wouldn't pass it to SA at all.

I remember. I was under the wrong impression that this setting delivers the
first x bytes to SA and not that it skips the message alltogether. But this
effects only spam detection. I have never heard or seen that messages were
lost because of this. I would rather guess that there was some other
problem, like it was password-protected or so (people in the media like to
send password-protected ads and then send the password with the same mail
..). There have been problems in the past with this, messages were
quarantined, but no notice sent out. Thus, it appeared to have been
vanished. If you don't use Mailwatch yet you should definitely do it!

> What version are you running, Kai? I'm tempted to upgrade and see if
> that fixes things, as my version is 4.72.5, and I still see this taking
> a lot of resources. I probably won't do it today since I've had the
> server down for memory upgrades, but maybe tomorrow or Monday.

I'm not aware that there were massive performance improvements since this
version. In case you still get no satisfactory performance I'm available
for a little fee ;-)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany