Email causing MailScanner to go defunct.

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Jan 23 15:22:33 GMT 2009

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote on Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:34:54 +0100:
>

>> Look at the setting "Max Spam Check Size", and the comment above it.
>> This is actually quite normal, it seems to me;-). If it bothers you,
>> up the limit a bit and see what happens.
>>

> I don't see where it says "won't scan at all". However, the error message
> implies that: "too big for spam checks". I would have *never* assumed that
> such a message gets not scanned *at all*. I expect that for such a message
> the first x bytes are handed over to SA. Like it is done with procmail.
> So, what's correct? Is it skipped or not?
>
> Kai

I mentioned this problem in my "Just an observation" thread a week or so
ago. I found that it sometimes would not get delivered at all. I never
did find out why. I was under the impression that the conf setting was
to indicate the amount of an email to check by SA, not that if the email
were larger, it wouldn't pass it to SA at all.

What version are you running, Kai? I'm tempted to upgrade and see if
that fixes things, as my version is 4.72.5, and I still see this taking
a lot of resources. I probably won't do it today since I've had the
server down for memory upgrades, but maybe tomorrow or Monday.

steve