Upgrade fron 4.61.7 to 4.74.13-2

Dave Filchak dave.filchak at senecac.on.ca
Thu Jan 8 14:57:35 GMT 2009

Kai,

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Dave Filchak wrote on Thu, 08 Jan 2009 09:27:35 -0500:
>

>> In /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002005/updates_spamassassin_org there are
>> many of the rule files.
>>

> Good.
>
> There is also another bunch at
>
>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001001/updates_spamassassin_org, which is from
>> the previous version. Can I just delete this older directory?
>>

> Yes.
>
> When I
>
>> move the rules in /etc/mail/spamassassin/ into a temp directory, I no
>> longer get that specific error but I am not sure if the rules and
>> spamassassin are functioning or not.
>>

> which rules? Are you the same person as "submit at zuka.net"?

There were a bunch of rules just sitting inside of the directory. I am
assuming these are not needed and so I put them into a temp directory
that I will delete late once all is well.  Yes I am the same person as
submit at zuka.net but when I sent the first email from that address, I
realized that I might not be able to receive a reply because I was not
receiving email. So, I had to use a different account. Sorry for the
extra BW.

>> As far as the permissions problem goes, I am using Postfix and
>> MailScanner is running as user Postfix but isn't it trying to access the
>> usr_prefs in the root home directory?
>>

> Not if the error comes from starting the service.

It does not happen when starting but does show up when running debug:

MailScanner --debug
In Debugging mode, not forking...
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1088.
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1090.
Building a message batch to scan...
Have a batch of 1 message.
max message size is '30000'
config: path "//.spamassassin/user_prefs" is inaccessible: Permission denied
max message size is '100000'
Stopping now as you are debugging me.

This debug session took about 5 minutes to run so something is really
bogged down but it might very well be the permissions problems.
> I never did that before I don't
>
>> thing as I believe we were using local.cf for site wide prefs?
>>

> All files in /etc/mail/spammassassin are used for SA configuration. And
> there should be a symlink to /etc/MailScanner/spamassassin.prefs.conf.
> Compare the two for duplicates.
>

> Also, there a very good tutorial for postfix+MailScanner on the MS
> documentation site. Read it and follow it. If there are still permission
> errors in yourt config you should find them this way!

I will have a look if I can stay awake ;-)
> You did run the update_mailscanner_conf script after upgrading, did you?

Yes of course.

--
Dave Filchak
Instructor, School of Communications Arts