Archiving to MailArchiva

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 09:57:20 IST 2009

Hi Dave,

--- On Tue, 25/8/09, DAve <dave.list at pixelhammer.com> wrote:

> From: DAve <dave.list at pixelhammer.com>
> Subject: Re: Archiving to MailArchiva
> To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
> Michael Mansour wrote:
>
> > If anyone's used mailarchiva before with MailScanner
> I'd be interested in how you finally decided to make it
> work. Or if anyone has other suggestions please chime in.
>
> In MailArchiva,
>
> 1) Under listeners, check "Listen for incoming
> Exchange/SMTP requests".
>
> 2) Enter "25" in the "Exchange/SMTP Port" field.
>
> 3) Select your MailArchiva's server IP in the "Bind IP
> Address" field.

Hmm.. I didn't consider having the mailarchiva server listening on port 25, thanks for the tip.

> 4) Click "Save".
>
> 5) Under "Domains", click the "New Domain" button.
>
> 6) Enter the domain you want to archive mail for in the
> "Domain Name" field.
>
> 7) Click "Save".
>
> In MailScanner,
>
> 1) In rules directory create "archive.rules" file.
>
> 2) In archive.rules file add this line,
> To: *@<domain-to-archive> forward
> archive@<archive-domain.com>
>
> 3) In MailScanner.conf change,
>   #Archive Mail = /local/spool/MailScanner/archive
>   Archive Mail = %rules-dir%/archive.rules
>
> 4) Create a DNS A record for <archive-domain.com>
> with the mailarchive IP from step 3 in configuring
> MailArchiva.

I'm trying to understand how this will work. Step 2 requires all the to/from emails of that particular domain to go to one mailbox?

I'd likely setup step 2 to be:

To: *@<domain-to-archive> forward archive@<serversFQDN.com>

so won't need Step 4 as it'll be the real server.

But then the mailarchiva server will recieve these on its port 25, but destined to the "archive" account, you think even if that account didn't exist, the server would simply just sort the emails anyway?

I know advanced rulesets can be added to the mailarchiva server, but I'm still new to it myself.

Even though it's off the top of your head, it's a possibility this may work.

Thanks.

Michael.