sa-compile scheduling

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 09:48:01 IST 2009

Hi Jules,

--- On Wed, 26/8/09, Jules Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> From: Jules Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: sa-compile scheduling
> To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
>

> On 25/08/2009 09:28, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> > ----- "Michael Mansour"<micoots at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > | Hi,
> > |
> > | I have just implemented this:
> > |
> > | http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_Rule2XSBody.html
> > |
> > | to use sa-compile to compile the rulesets and speed
> up SA.
> > |
> > | Now I have sa-update cron'ed to run periodically, is
> sa-update clever
> > | enough to realise that this SA plugin is being used
> and to then run
> > | sa-compile on it's own? or must I now manually setup
> another cron job
> > | to compile the new rules downloaded by sa-update
> after they are
> > | updated?
> > |
> > | Thanks.
> > |
> > | Michael.
> > |
> > Why not put the sa-update in a script, under
> /usr/local/bin, and add sa-compile to the end of it.
> You can then call that via cron.
> >
> You can use my update_spamassassin which you will find in
> /usr/sbin if I remember correctly, which will call
> sa-compile and everything for you. Just install "re2c" from
> rpmforge so you have the tool it will need.
> You may well find this is already in your /etc/cron.hourly
> or /etc/cron.daily so it's being run for you.

Yes you're right, I haven't looked at this for some years but I did have your update_spamassassin script running (together with the sa-update.cron script which comes with the SA RPM).

So yes, I was running it twice from two RPM packages and didn't realise ;)

I've cleaned that setup up now so it's only run once a night from all the mail servers.

Thanks.

Michael.