Multiple incoming and outgoing queue directories

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 08:35:09 IST 2009

Hi,

--- On Wed, 26/8/09, Zaeem Arshad <zaeem.arshad at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Zaeem Arshad <zaeem.arshad at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Multiple incoming and outgoing queue directories
> To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
>

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM,
> Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> 2009/8/25 Zaeem Arshad <zaeem.arshad at gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I have a requirement where I have multiple postfix
> instances running on the
>
> > same box. Instance 1 has its directory structure in
> /queue1 while instance
>
> > 2's postfix dir structure is in /queue2. Both
> directories are on separate
>
> > partitions. I have tried setting up a file containing
> a list of the hold
>
> > directories but MailScanner complains that the
> directories need to be on the
>
> > same filesystem as the outgoing work dir. Why is that
> so? Also, is it
>
> Queue file ID is generated (for
> resubmitted/reconstructed mail) as a
>
> dunction of the inode numer and the current millisecond. So
> you cannot
>
> create the file on one filesystem and then copy it over to
> the
>
> outgoing directory (which happen to be
> "incoming", usually;-), since
>
> that would break that relationship (inode numbers are only
> unique in
>
> the respective filesystems. Doing a copy would mean having
> possible
>
> duplicates in the series)... So that mandates that the
> "moving into
>
> place" need be through linking, or on other words an
> mv, not a copy
>
> operation.
>

> > possible to have multiple outgoing queue directories
> so that mailscanner can
>
> > scan files in /queue1/hold and place them in
> /queue1/postfix/incoming and
>
> > same for the second instance?
>

> All that is mandated is that the work directory and
> the respective
>
> outgoing directories be on the same filesystem... Not the
> hold,
>
> IIRC;-)... Or you could try run multiple MSes.
>

> But really... What kind of requirement would mandate you
> set it up
>
> like that? Are you sure there is no other, more or less
> sane, wayto do
>
> it.
>
> The mail gateway is running multiple instances
> of postfix. It is treating both corporate email and our
> customers traffic. I'd like to have both kind of emails
> scanned by MS but delivered outside using specific outbound
> IP addresses. In the current scenario, the IP of the postfix
> instance whose incoming queue is used by MS is used.
>
> I couldn't find any good resource on running
> multiple MS. Got any pointers?

I started to look at doing that about a month or more ago, and emailed the list here about it but didn't receive any response.

I looked into it for days and after various tests, came to the conclusion the best way to do it was using chroot'ed environments, one each for two sendmail instances and then one each for two MailScanner instances.

It was quite straight forward overall but I abandoned the idea when I realised if I'd set such a thing up, not too many people would have the skillset to manage it after me. So decided to keep it simple.

BTW, I needed it to run two instances of sendmail on the one box, as I setup the environment in a HA hosting platform.

Regards,

Michael.