Archiving to MailArchiva

Eduardo Casarero ecasarero at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:59:41 IST 2009

2009/8/25 Michael Mansour <micoots at yahoo.com>

> Hi Eduardo,

you have to add this to your sendmail.cf

O InputMailFilters= mailarchiva
Xmailarchiva, S=inet:8092 at 192.168.123.123 <inet%3A8092 at 192.168.123.123> (ip
and port of mailarchiva)

(i dont remember the sintax to add it to sendmail.mc and then run m4)

> In earlier versions on sourceforge I see they have a perl script:
>
> sendmailpostfixagent.pl
>
> which can be used on sendmail hosts as a milter which can be used to "pipe"
> emails from the MX servers into the mailarchiva server, but I'm only
> interested in archiving one hosted domain and not all of them.
>
> I'm unsure whether mailarchiva only archives messages from domains that it
> knows about from it's config, or just accepts everything that's sent to it
> to archive it.

I've just checked an only stores emails from domains that it knwos about.
for example all localhost emails (logwatch, crontab notifications, etc) were
not stored in my config.

> That's why I'm taking a serious look at the "Archive Mail" feature of
> MailScanner. Since what I should be able to do is tell it to Archive all for
> a domain to mbox files, and then run a process of ex2mailarchiva to import
> those mbox files into the mailarchive server.
>
> I've also thought about getting MailScanner to "forward" copies of the
> emails to/from a domain to another email account and have procmail recipes
> to take action on those items, which I might be able to send to the
> mailarchiva server via smtp.
>
> I'm after something elegant though which is why I'm asking here. I've also
> asked on the mailarchiva forums and have yet to receive a reply.

mmm you get a complex setup doing that, i rather preffer the milter
solution, it just works.