Archiving to MailArchiva

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 25 07:00:58 IST 2009

Hi Eduardo,

--- On Tue, 25/8/09, Eduardo Casarero <ecasarero at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Eduardo Casarero <ecasarero at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Archiving to MailArchiva
> To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
>
> 2009/8/24 Michael Mansour <micoots at yahoo.com>
>
> Hi,
>
> I've setup a mailarchiva server (OSE) and now want to
> archive mail from mailscanner into that server (only for a
> specific domain though).
>
> The server itself, by default, listens on these ports:
>
> 8090 - http web console port (e.g. http://localhost:8090/mailarchiva)
> 8091 - smtp port
> 8092 - smtp milter port
> 8009 - tomcat ajp port
> 8010 - tomcat shutdown port
>
> so it can accept smtp connections to archive the mail.
>
> It also has a tool (ex2mailarchiva) which can import mail
> into the archive using various formats like mbox.
>
> I've looked at the Archive mail options in MailScanner
> and not sure about the best way to approach this. I've
> tested the MailScanner archive system and using dated
> directories, it produces "queue" files which I
> could use with sendmail I guess to re-send those emails?
>
> If anyone's used mailarchiva before with MailScanner
> I'd be interested in how you finally decided to make it
> work. Or if anyone has other suggestions please chime in.
>
>> I've a mailarchiva OSE in testing. i've configured
>> sendmail to have mailarchiva as milter and works ok. its
>> very simple to configure.

How did you do that?

In earlier versions on sourceforge I see they have a perl script:

sendmailpostfixagent.pl

which can be used on sendmail hosts as a milter which can be used to "pipe" emails from the MX servers into the mailarchiva server, but I'm only interested in archiving one hosted domain and not all of them.

I'm unsure whether mailarchiva only archives messages from domains that it knows about from it's config, or just accepts everything that's sent to it to archive it.

That's why I'm taking a serious look at the "Archive Mail" feature of MailScanner. Since what I should be able to do is tell it to Archive all for a domain to mbox files, and then run a process of ex2mailarchiva to import those mbox files into the mailarchive server.

I've also thought about getting MailScanner to "forward" copies of the emails to/from a domain to another email account and have procmail recipes to take action on those items, which I might be able to send to the mailarchiva server via smtp.

I'm after something elegant though which is why I'm asking here. I've also asked on the mailarchiva forums and have yet to receive a reply.

Their online KB is little help here also.

Thanks.

Michael.