[OT] new sendmail release, ever?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 16:31:21 IST 2009

2009/8/7 Michael Mansour <micoots at yahoo.com>:
> Hi,

:-) I remember that time too. My "point", if there was one, is that
all the "backbones" in europe (mostly universities) shared that
splendidly fast beast... Yes, there weren't that many e-mail (or news,
for that matter) users, but when it's all down to HDB UUCP... Sigh.
And then one got to relive it all in the late 80:s with things like
fido and bog-slow BBS:s...

I have a particularly fond memory of ordering "the complete cookbook"
from alt.gourmand, and receiving about 500 (might've been less, it's
been a while:-) 50KiB emails... And then printing it all on a rugged
line printer... just to realise I hadn't ordered them with metric
measurements (Cups? Oz? WTF!) and had to redo it all.
Things weren't better in the past. That'sw why we like reminiscing about it:-).

> NPGX BBS (maybe a google of it will still show something) was the system. I was also the official Australian Apogee games hub (remember Duke Nukem? Commander Keen ;), among others) where I'd pull down releases from Asia (arrghh the phone bills) and have BBS's from Australia and New Zealand pick the releases up from me. Started with "Remote Access" BBS and ended with "Worldgroup BBS".
>
> Those were the days :) interestingly, I still run NPGX, 15 years old this year as it evolved from a BBS to ISP to Web and email hosting provider, which is what it does today.

Yeah. I remember all that too, since some of my earlier employers
lacked the correct poison, er, Internet access... So cheapish BBS
access was the tune during the late -80:s/early -90:s ... at least
here in Sweden:).

> Anyone remember what a Network shim was? ;)

:)
> Regards,
>
> Michael.

Cheers