[OT] new sendmail release, ever?

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 10:05:22 IST 2009

Hi,

--- On Fri, 7/8/09, Alex Broens <ms-list at alexb.ch> wrote:

> From: Alex Broens <ms-list at alexb.ch>
> Subject: Re: [OT] new sendmail release, ever?
> To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
> On 8/6/2009 10:34 PM, Glenn Steen
> wrote:
> > 2009/8/6 Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at rtpty.com>:
> >> Meh. Back in my day, we used to have to wait a
> week for e-mail. A local BBS
> >> would batch things up and run on the weekend at
> 2AM when the price for long
> >> distance was lower. Uphill. Both ways. In the
> snow.
> >>
> > .... Anyone else but me remember the dreary state of
> the atlantic line
> > during the mid-80:s? IIRC it was a 19.2 kbps (smoking
> hot!:-) modem
> > connection... No email over the size of 50KiB was
> allowed...
>
> I ran a Fido gateway for many years...16 nodes... first
> modems I used for it were 14400 coz 9600 were getting too
> slow to push demos over the Atlantic.

I go even further back than that. I ran a 27 node (yes 27 phones lines) BBS system in Australia which would, among other things, run the Fido gateway also. I started the service with (too) many 2400bps modems and went up from there. Prior to that I was enjoying the testing of a 300bps boat anhor (yes it was that big) modem before waiting for the faster 1200bps ones which would autonegotiate line speed. Phew.

NPGX BBS (maybe a google of it will still show something) was the system. I was also the official Australian Apogee games hub (remember Duke Nukem? Commander Keen ;), among others) where I'd pull down releases from Asia (arrghh the phone bills) and have BBS's from Australia and New Zealand pick the releases up from me. Started with "Remote Access" BBS and ended with "Worldgroup BBS".

Those were the days :) interestingly, I still run NPGX, 15 years old this year as it evolved from a BBS to ISP to Web and email hosting provider, which is what it does today.

Anyone remember what a Network shim was? ;)

Regards,

Michael.