Anyone have any experience with Avast AV?

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Wed Apr 29 23:04:49 IST 2009

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 4-29-2009 1:27 PM Dave Jones spake the following:
>
>> Anyone have any experience with Avast?  The pricing is much, much
>> cheaper than other commercial AV scanners so I wanted to make sure it
>> was good before I pursue switching to it.  It is not priced by the
>> mailbox so you can get a 3 year license for a pair of MailScanner
>> servers for roughly $8,000.  This would only cover about 4 months of
>> our current commercial AV license for 8K mailboxes.
>>

> You could check if your desktop licensing entitles you to a commandline
> scanner for free. McAfee does, and I think symantec might. Maybe some others
> do also.

I use Avast AV on desktops and servers, and its the best AV product
around IMHO.  Its lightweight so doesn't hog resources,  I come across
machines infected with virsues when they use Norton (yuk) Mcaffee, AVG
etc etc but never have I had to clean a machine that was running Avast,
speaks volumes really.

Just my 10pence worth...

Pete

dangerous content by the Inexcom system Scanner,
and is believed to be clean.
Advanced heuristic mail scanning server [-].
http://www.inexcom.co.uk