Maximum Processing Attempts

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 27 22:40:16 IST 2009

Can someone test this please? How much of a difference does it really make?

It is a few small SQL operations per message on a very fast lightweight
(if any SQL server is lightweight!) database that will be in memory
anyway. I have specifically switched off fsyncs when it writes to the
database, so it shouldn't result in any appreciable disk i/o at all.

Should I leave it switched on by default, so heavily loaded sites can
switch it off to gain that extra bit of performance, at the cost of a
potential reliability hit?
If we go for that, can someone please edit the "optimising tips" wiki
page for me?

Thanks folks!
Jules.

P.S. Have you seen I am on twitter too these days? You too can get to
see my inane ramblings at twitter.com/JulesFM.

On 27/04/2009 22:24, Christiaan den Besten wrote:
> Does it realy hit performance noticably? ..... in normal behaviour the
> database is extremly small .... so it should probably always live in
> disk-cache. And if people want to be sure, they can place it on tmpfs,
> doesn't hurt if it gets lost :)
>
> We have seen 'our share of broken messages' that trashed some of our
> servers, .... would have loved to have had the processing database
> back then :) :)
>
> bye,
> Chris
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Julian Field"