OT: Bounced Email

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon Apr 27 15:10:56 IST 2009

Drew Marshall wrote on Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:43:34 +0100:

> I would love to but I'm not sure what has changed. I am using the same
> Mac Mail app that I was in Feb (Although there might have been an
> update to it that I have not recognised).

Actually, I suspect it's not your mail app. Have you told MS to remove some
headers or so? Or use some header-mangling milter?
Check mail going thru your system from other clients (=programs).
Send thru another system. Compare the results.
I think your mail system is seriously broken, see below.

> The copy that I received had the following References header:
> <49F4A8A7.9060109 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
>  > <EMEW3|97d11d78e569a39a16dcaae78aa2e574l3PJWG0bMailScanner|ecs.soton.ac.uk|060109 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
>  > <20090426185257.2AC1F1702E at out-b.mx.mail-launder.com>
>
> Which looks ok to me

it's not ok. This last message-id simply does not exist at all!
And if it existed this would mean you reply to yourself!
*All* the message-ids you reference in the last postion or in In-Reply-To do not
exist! And that's the problem! And as they end with out-b.mx.mail-launder.com it's
rather your mail system doing this as I don't see how your local mail app should
be adding that unless you are writing the messages on that machine. I suspect that
all mail going thru it is broken in this way.

Moreover, your own messages are getting sent without a message-id, so that the
mailing-list server has to add it. Which is very unusual and likely to be
considered some spam score points worth on many SA installations.

As I already said, it looks like <whatever> is placing the correct new message-id
for that message in the wrong place and at the same time removes or doesn't add
the message-id there where it belongs.

Your headers are really very, very broken!

and should allow threading, certainly Mail has
> not broken the thread at my end.

It surely has, you may just not notice it, because you are not that familiar with
how the thread should look like.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany