Mangled MIME Headers in plain text mail

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 21 21:02:45 IST 2009

On 21/4/09 20:53, Drew Marshall wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2009, at 17:44, Julian Field wrote:
>
>> I've just tested your message against my copy of MailScanner, the
>> latest released version.
>> It puts the plain-text signature at the end of the first plain-text
>> bit of text, and it puts the HTML signature at the end of the HTML
>> bit of text, just as I intended.
>>
>> It doesn't create any new MIME parts for the signature at all, as I
>> didn't think it would.
>>
>> So I don't know where those signatures are coming from, but I sure
>> cannot reproduce this. MailScanner doesn't create new message MIME
>> parts when it adds signatures, feel free to read the code.
>
> So where on Earth or perhaps more the point, what on Earth is making
> it do this? MailScanner lints just fine and for maybe 85 - 90% of all
> mail has no problems but every so often something throws a new MIME
> part and 'breaks' the message.
>
> Where can/ should I start looking Jules?
Archive all the mail coming in ("Archive Mail =" will do the job just
fine), and when you find a message that has been broken, send me (off
list) a compressed version of the original mail before MailScanner got
its mitts on it, so I can try to reproduce it given the original raw
message.

If it's only working correctly for 90% of mail, it won't take you long
to find a good simpe example of one it breaks.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM