Problem with MailScanner on FreeBSD 7.2 w/sendmail

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Fri Apr 17 08:09:43 IST 2009

Onderwerp: Problem with MailScanner on FreeBSD 7.2 w/sendmail

>Hi,

>I have a 7.2-prelease system that I am trying to get sendmail and
>MailScanner running on and for some reason sendmail isn't listening on
>*.smtp, though it is listening on localhost.smtp.

>If I remove MailScanner from the mix and run sendmail in the
>conventional way (with sendmail_enable="YES" specified in /etc/rc.conf)
>then things work as expected (except no MailScanner, of course).
>
>I currently have a running 6.4-stable system, that this new 7.2 system
>is scheduled to replace, that is using the same MailScanner and sendmail
>configuration files and it is working ok (and has been for a long time).

>I suspect that I'm simply missing some configuration option here that
>I've overlooked or that may have changed between 6.4 and 7.2, but don't
>really know where to look.

>My FreeBSD version is:
>FreeBSD boss-nass 7.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE #0: Wed Apr 15 10:46:32 CDT 2009 amd64

>sendmail:
>Version 8.14.3
> Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SASLv2
                SCANF STARTTLS TCPWRAPPERS USERDB XDEBUG

>MailScanner:
>MailScanner-4.67.6_4

>Any help or tips on things to do/check would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Bob

Which perl version are you running?
I had problems with perl-5.8.9 on several (all is about 10) boxes, reverting back to perl-5.8.8 solved my case.
On some boxes i installed perl-5.10.0 and these boxes work ok with the new perl these ar i386 and amd64 machines.
These machines are a mix of FreeBSD 7.1, 7.2-Pre and 8.0

See /usr/portsUPDATING how to update your perl-5.8.9 to perl-5.10.0

Regards,
Johan Hendriks
Double L Automatisering