MailScanner, CentOS 5 and perl-IO & perl-File-Temp

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 3 17:41:58 IST 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 16:51 +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> In a recent version of MailScanner, do a "./install.sh --help".
> After a few seconds it will print this:
>
> Usage: ./install.sh [OPTION]... [VAR=VALUE]...
>
>    -h, --help            display this help and exit
>    nodeps                ignore dependencies when installing MailScanner
>    ignore-perl           ignore perl versions check
>    fast                  do not wait for long during installation
>    reinstall        force uninstallation of Perl modules before install
>    nomodules             do not install required Perl modules
>
> Note the "reinstall" option.
> What you want to do is this.
>      ./install.sh reinstall
> Then it will uninstall the Perl modules, at which point you "Ctrl-Z" it,
> run your "yum update" and let your system happily upgrade. Then "fg" to
> bring the install.sh script back to the foreground and let it complete
> the install.
>
> Net result, a neatly upgraded system without having to fart around
> manually uninstalling Perl module RPMs.
>
> To give you an example, this is what you will see when you run
> "./install.sh reinstall" after the usual introductory output:
>
> ===START===
> I think your system will build architecture-dependent modules for x86_64
>
> Deleting all the old versions of your Perl modules,
> I will re-install them in a minute.
>
> Removing perl-Net-CIDR
> Removing perl-IO-stringy
> Removing perl-MIME-Base64
> Removing perl-TimeDate
> Removing perl-Pod-Escapes
> Removing perl-Pod-Simple
> Removing perl-Test-Simple
> Removing perl-Test-Pod
> Removing perl-MailTools
> Removing perl-IO
> Removing perl-File-Temp
> Removing perl-HTML-Tagset
> Removing perl-HTML-Parser
> Removing perl-Convert-BinHex
> Removing perl-MIME-tools
> Removing perl-Convert-TNEF
> Removing perl-Compress-Zlib
> Removing perl-Archive-Zip
> Removing perl-DBI
> Removing perl-DBD-SQLite
> Removing perl-Getopt-Long
> Removing perl-Time-HiRes
> Removing perl-Math-BigInt
> Removing perl-Math-BigRat
> Removing perl-bignum
> Removing perl-Net-IP
> Removing perl-Sys-Hostname-Long
> Removing perl-Sys-Syslog
> Removing perl-Digest-SHA1
> Removing perl-Net-DNS
> Removing perl-OLE-Storage_Lite
>
> If you want to upgrade your version of Perl, then now is a good time
> to press Ctrl-Z, upgrade everything, and then continue this script
> by running the "fg" command.
> ===END===
>
> Hopefully that's all clear enough that you can see what you need to do.

----
;-)

Seriously Jules...I know you are light years ahead of me on all this but
what this means is that I have to shut down MailScanner to update perl,
which I have had to do twice this week. When I've got a major update
like CentOS 5.3, that's a significant amount of downtime (though I
suppose I can break out the perl updates separately, it just adds
something else to the hassle factor).

and it seems unnecessary to have to rebuild all of the source rpm's when
they are already built from the last install process.

watching the words "I have to force installation of File-Temp. Sorry."
float across the screen is a nice way of saying...deal with it.

Craig

believed to be clean.