MailScanner, CentOS 5 and perl-IO & perl-File-Temp

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 16:51:39 IST 2009

In a recent version of MailScanner, do a "./install.sh --help".
After a few seconds it will print this:

Usage: ./install.sh [OPTION]... [VAR=VALUE]...

   -h, --help            display this help and exit
   nodeps                ignore dependencies when installing MailScanner
   ignore-perl           ignore perl versions check
   fast                  do not wait for long during installation
   reinstall        force uninstallation of Perl modules before install
   nomodules             do not install required Perl modules

Note the "reinstall" option.
What you want to do is this.
     ./install.sh reinstall
Then it will uninstall the Perl modules, at which point you "Ctrl-Z" it,
run your "yum update" and let your system happily upgrade. Then "fg" to
bring the install.sh script back to the foreground and let it complete
the install.

Net result, a neatly upgraded system without having to fart around
manually uninstalling Perl module RPMs.

To give you an example, this is what you will see when you run
"./install.sh reinstall" after the usual introductory output:

===START===
I think your system will build architecture-dependent modules for x86_64

Deleting all the old versions of your Perl modules,
I will re-install them in a minute.

Removing perl-Net-CIDR
Removing perl-IO-stringy
Removing perl-MIME-Base64
Removing perl-TimeDate
Removing perl-Pod-Escapes
Removing perl-Pod-Simple
Removing perl-Test-Simple
Removing perl-Test-Pod
Removing perl-MailTools
Removing perl-IO
Removing perl-File-Temp
Removing perl-HTML-Tagset
Removing perl-HTML-Parser
Removing perl-Convert-BinHex
Removing perl-MIME-tools
Removing perl-Convert-TNEF
Removing perl-Compress-Zlib
Removing perl-Archive-Zip
Removing perl-DBI
Removing perl-DBD-SQLite
Removing perl-Getopt-Long
Removing perl-Time-HiRes
Removing perl-Math-BigInt
Removing perl-Math-BigRat
Removing perl-bignum
Removing perl-Net-IP
Removing perl-Sys-Hostname-Long
Removing perl-Sys-Syslog
Removing perl-Digest-SHA1
Removing perl-Net-DNS
Removing perl-OLE-Storage_Lite

If you want to upgrade your version of Perl, then now is a good time
to press Ctrl-Z, upgrade everything, and then continue this script
by running the "fg" command.
===END===

Hopefully that's all clear enough that you can see what you need to do.

Jules.

On 3/4/09 16:39, Craig White wrote:
> # rpm -q mailscanner
> mailscanner-4.74.16-1
>
> I can't be the only person dealing with this and I'm trying to figure
> out the best way to handle it. When updating to CentOS 5.3, I ran into
> conflicts between CentOS perl package and perl-IO&  perl-File-Temp
> packages.
>
> so I remove perl-IO&  perl-File-Temp packages (and some others, less
> important) and update moves along.
>
> but then I restart MailScanner because of various perl changes and it
> complains bitterly and won't start...
>
> Starting MailScanner
> daemons:
>           incoming postfix:     [  OK  ]
>           outgoing postfix:     [  OK  ]
>           MailScanner:       File::Temp version 0.18 required--this is
> only version 0.16 at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/MIME/Tools.pm line
> 14.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
> at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/MIME/Tools.pm line 14.
> Compilation failed in require
> at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/MIME/Parser.pm line 142.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
> at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/MIME/Parser.pm line 142.
> Compilation failed in require
> at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/MCPMessage.pm line 41.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
> at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/MCPMessage.pm line 41.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 81.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 81.
>
> so I force the installation of perl-IO and perl-File-Temp and things are
> OK...MailScanner will start. But then CentOS issues another perl update
> and I have to remove them again to update and force the install again to
> get MailScanner to run.
>
> There has to be a better way than this...this is no way to run a
> railroad.
>
> Craig

Jules

--