MailScanner, CentOS 5 and perl-IO & perl-File-Temp

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 19:51:35 IST 2009

On 3/4/09 17:41, Craig White wrote:
> [...]
>> After a few seconds it will print this:
>>
>> Usage: ./install.sh [OPTION]... [VAR=VALUE]...
>>
>>     -h, --help            display this help and exit
>>     nodeps                ignore dependencies when installing MailScanner
>>     ignore-perl           ignore perl versions check
>>     fast                  do not wait for long during installation
>>     reinstall        force uninstallation of Perl modules before install
>>     nomodules             do not install required Perl modules
>>
>> Note the "reinstall" option.
>> What you want to do is this.
>>       ./install.sh reinstall
>> Then it will uninstall the Perl modules, at which point you "Ctrl-Z" it,
>> run your "yum update" and let your system happily upgrade. Then "fg" to
>> bring the install.sh script back to the foreground and let it complete
>> the install.
>>
>> Net result, a neatly upgraded system without having to fart around
>> manually uninstalling Perl module RPMs.
>>
>> To give you an example, this is what you will see when you run
>> "./install.sh reinstall" after the usual introductory output:
>>
>> ===START===
>> I think your system will build architecture-dependent modules for x86_64
>>
>> Deleting all the old versions of your Perl modules,
>> I will re-install them in a minute.
>>
>> Removing perl-Net-CIDR
>> Removing perl-IO-stringy
>> Removing perl-MIME-Base64
>> Removing perl-TimeDate
>> Removing perl-Pod-Escapes
>> Removing perl-Pod-Simple
>> Removing perl-Test-Simple
>> Removing perl-Test-Pod
>> Removing perl-MailTools
>> Removing perl-IO
>> Removing perl-File-Temp
>> Removing perl-HTML-Tagset
>> Removing perl-HTML-Parser
>> Removing perl-Convert-BinHex
>> Removing perl-MIME-tools
>> Removing perl-Convert-TNEF
>> Removing perl-Compress-Zlib
>> Removing perl-Archive-Zip
>> Removing perl-DBI
>> Removing perl-DBD-SQLite
>> Removing perl-Getopt-Long
>> Removing perl-Time-HiRes
>> Removing perl-Math-BigInt
>> Removing perl-Math-BigRat
>> Removing perl-bignum
>> Removing perl-Net-IP
>> Removing perl-Sys-Hostname-Long
>> Removing perl-Sys-Syslog
>> Removing perl-Digest-SHA1
>> Removing perl-Net-DNS
>> Removing perl-OLE-Storage_Lite
>>
>> If you want to upgrade your version of Perl, then now is a good time
>> to press Ctrl-Z, upgrade everything, and then continue this script
>> by running the "fg" command.
>> ===END===
>>
>> Hopefully that's all clear enough that you can see what you need to do.
>>

> ----
> ;-)
>
> Seriously Jules...I know you are light years ahead of me on all this but
> what this means is that I have to shut down MailScanner to update perl,
You don't *have* to shut down MailScanner in order to do this. There's a
fairly small chance it will decide to restart while you do a
"./install.sh reinstall fast" which I think you can do.

What would you rather I do?
You can always subscribe to "MailScanner Gold" available from Fort
Systems Ltd at www.fsl.com if you want a smoother upgrade path. It's
pretty cheap and avoids these problems.

>   When I've got a major update
> like CentOS 5.3, that's a significant amount of downtime (though I
> suppose I can break out the perl updates separately, it just adds
> something else to the hassle factor).

I don't upgrade my systems twice in a week :-)
> and it seems unnecessary to have to rebuild all of the source rpm's when
> they are already built from the last install process.

But if you uninstall them then you have not got the last build, nor can
you trust some old files which happen to be lying around.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM