Improvements to install.sh ?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Sep 28 17:49:57 IST 2008

Andrew MacLachlan wrote:
> Maybe only display errors during the install but log everything?
The only snag is that the "make test" phase of installing a Perl module
can take quite a while, and there's no other way to get any feedback at
all that it is actually still working and hasn't hung or anything.

It also makes it very difficult to get errors into the log but not onto
the console while the script is running, as currently I can do it with a
single "tee" that wraps up the entire install.sh script contents, saving
making hundreds of modifications and duplications within the script. At
the moment it is a very simple change, which is tidy and simple and easy
to maintain.

I can easily remove the output of the "make test" phase altogether.
Unfortunately there is no control within "rpmbuild" of what output it
generates and what it doesn't. It has virtually no configuration at all.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM