Start failure due to Compress/Zlib.pm line 9

David Annett annett.david at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 02:28:30 IST 2008

I hope you don't find my attitude lazy since I feel the server should serve
me and not the other way round, so I try to keep things as simple as
possible while providing the features I want.  For this reason I have never
looked at running the mta by itself.  I have tried downloading the latest
version of MailScanner from www.mailscanner.org and installed it.  I have
also tried using cpan to update Archive::Zip and, as suggested,
Scalar::Init.  Neither help as even running "/usr/sbin/MailScanner -v"
returns an error.  I will disable yum if that is what it takes to make the
system work properly.  I suspect it is also the cause of dhcpd.conf file
periodically having it's DNS info overwriten.  I have relied on yum to keep
me patched so as to reduce hacking risks.

The bottom line is I'm still stuffed.  I read throught 2 months of mailling
list listings before placing my message but guess I should return and read
more.

Thanks for your advice.