R: Spamassassin Timeout issue.

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Sep 10 23:10:05 IST 2008

on 9-10-2008 3:04 PM Drew Marshall spake the following:
>>> For me the best disclaimers are none at all ... :D
>>>
>> Unfortunately not all legal bods agree...
>
> Quite. It's a legal requirement in the UK (Not 20 lines admittedly but I
> think it's fair to say that most companies take the view that in for a
> penny in for the whole pound (GBP!)).
>
> Any way back to the subject in question, that iphone.... no sorry, the
> time outs :-)
>
> The other thing to do is to grab a sample of messages and run them
> through SpamAssassin manually and see which part of the scan is slow and
> look at improving that area. So if it goes slowly through the DNS tests
> make improvements to your DNS, if it's rules look at sa-compile, if it's
> Pyzor make sure you are querying the right server, is your bayes
> database corrupt etc etc. The biggest problem (And also the largest
> advantage) of SA is that it uses so many different tests in so many
> different ways so no one solution fits all. Sure the answers given so
> far are not wrong and are the usual suspects but it may not be the case
> for every problem.

I think you can also get some timeouts if you are hitting the spamhaus
blacklisting for too many queries. I do believe they are on by default in
spamassassin. I know you can get hit if spamhaus is in your MTA, but I assume
the same could happen to spamassassin.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and