Recommendations for secondary virus scanner

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Thu Oct 9 17:36:53 IST 2008

On 10/9/2008 6:26 PM, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 10-9-2008 2:16 AM Ben Tisdall spake the following:
>> Ben Tisdall wrote:
>>>>
>> I'm confused by this whole 'licensing' thing (I normally leave that to
>> the Windows admin sitting opposite me :)
>>
>> In general (and with F-prot in particular) is it necessary to use the
>> 'mailserver' editions of these products? from a licensing standpoint?
>>
>> >From a technical standpoint I assume MS would do just as well with the
>> workstation version.
>>
> Mailscanner only needs a commandline scanner. How the different companies
> decide to charge you is totally up to them and their need for cashflow.
>
> Since you have a windows admin, have him check if you get a linux command line
> scanner license included with any desktop virus scanners you purchase.

f-prot for linux server has a dameon which is amazingly fast.
If you use the commandline version (included) its a hog compared to the
daemon.

Caveat: The daemon version has a stream limit pretty much like clamd.
If you feed it a 30 MB msg via stream it will stick its toungue out and
laugh at you.

Alex