Migrate system: amavisd-new to mailscanner?

Anthony Cartmell ajcartmell at fonant.com
Tue Oct 7 18:21:00 IST 2008

Hi folks,

I'm, currently, for my sins, helping www.ippimail.com to keep their
systems going.

They are running old versions of Postfix with amavsid-new and clamd, which
seems to work OK, but I'd be more comfortable with MailScanner than
amavisd-new.

I use MailScanner with sendmail on my own servers, but Ippimail has
usernames in a database (used for other things too), and I don't know how
to get sendmail to use MySQL database for authentication. Is this
possible?  Also his usernames contain "@" which sendmail can't handle
AFAIK. Also some users have mail accounts in the form
name at username.ippimail.com, just to add to the confusion.

So perhaps Postfix plus MailScanner might be OK? This would mean I could
leave Postfix set up as it is, but replace amavisd-new with MailScanner,
probably a simpler task?

Current OS is Fedora 5 (!) but they plan to move to CentOS soon.

Any advice on best options?

Cheers!

Anthony
--