Message rules don't work, but if message forwarded, it does???

Chris Barber cbarber at techquility.net
Tue Nov 25 19:41:46 GMT 2008

>> on 11-20-2008 10:37 PM Chris Barber spake the following:
>> <snip>
>> The HTML encoding seems different between messages. This might be why it gets caught the second time around.
>> Also, the message you mark as missed has a RFC private IP address in
>> it
>> Never mind. They are mixed up because the one marked missed has a Fwd:
>> prepended to the subject.
>> The missed message is encoded with "quoted-printable" in the html section, but Thunderbird looks to be re-encoding it on the forward. Maybe you >>have a problem with your mime-tools module on the server.
>>
>> Oops, you are right I mixed up the folders. I am using MIME::Tools version 5.427. I think this was installed by Julian's install.sh script. Is >there a way to test/debug this module?
>>

>It might not be the problem, it was just a possibility. I'm running 5.425 here. Not sure how to debug that.
>
>Maybe next time you can pipe the original message into spamassassin and see what happens.

Here is another example of the problem I am having:

Original message arrives and hits these rules:
 0.50 BAYES_40            Bayesian spam probability is 20 to 40%
 0.00 HTML_MESSAGE HTML   included in message
-0.00 SPF_PASS SPF:       sender matches SPF record

User forwards the message to me. The message flows through the same MailScanner server and hits all of these rules:
-2.60 BAYES_00                          Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
 0.00 HTML_MESSAGE                      HTML included in message
 0.50 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 Razor2     gives confidence level above 50%
 1.50 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100 Razor2  gives engine 8 confidence level above 50%
 0.50 RAZOR2_CHECK                      Listed in Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/)
 1.50 URIBL_BLACK                       Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
 1.50 URIBL_JP_SURBL                    Contains an URL listed in the JP SURBL blocklist
 1.50 URIBL_OB_SURBL                    Contains an URL listed in the OB SURBL blocklist

As far as I can tell, MailScanner can handle quoted-printable encoding... It seems all of the network tests fail to scan the message. There are no errors in the maillog. Is there a way to enable debug/verbose logging in MailScanner?

Thanks again for the assistance!