How to test RBL lookups in MailScanner?

Chris Barber cbarber at techquility.net
Thu Nov 20 01:26:50 GMT 2008

Hi All,

This might be obvious and I apologize in advance, but how can I test if MailScanner is testing messages for RBL (Spam List)? I tried running MailScanner --debug --debug-sa and I don't see anything about it, unless I'm missing something.

I normally have my MTA do RBL lookups but there are a few other lists I want to try out. I don't want to try a new list on the MTA since it outright rejects messages that hit the lists. For testing purposes, I want MailScanner to check these other RBL's and then quarantine the message. My users can then release the message if it is a false positive. Once satisfied with a list choice, I'll then move it to the MTA.

Running MailScanner version 4.72.5
I have enabled the Spam List option and I populated the spam.lists.conf file with the new RBL I want to test.

Thanks,
Chris