Message rules don't work, but if message forwarded, it does???

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 22:19:31 GMT 2008

2008/11/5 Chris Barber <cbarber at techquility.net>:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Having a strange issue, maybe someone has seen this before. I have
> some
>> spam emails that are getting through the server. If a user then
> forwards
>> that spam message to me, going through the server again, it does get
>> caught.
>>
>> A specific example is this:
>> Message comes through and hit no rules at all.
>> Message is forwarded and hits two URIBL rules for a URL in the
> message.
>>
>> Strange thing is that the URL was in the message originally so it
> should
>> have hit the rule.
>>
>> Can anyone help me shed some light onto this?
>>
>> Running MailScanner 4.72.5-1 on CentOS 5
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>
>>Hi Chris,
>>
>>you wouldn't be whitelisting by email address alone, now would you?
>>That would indeed explain such a thing....;-)
>>When you look at it (in the logs etc), make sure you are looking at
>>the envelope sender/recipient(s), since those are the ones MS use...
>>Not the From:/To: headers...
>>
>>Cheers
>>--
>>-- Glenn
>>email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
>>work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se
>

> Glenn,
>
> Thanks for the reply. You had me scared for a second there, but no there
> was no white listing going on. I verified the envelope addresses. This
> issue seems to happen randomly a least a couple times a day to some
> users.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Didn't mean to scare you, just point at one (semi-obvious:-) possibility....:-)
When it happens do you see anything ... curious .... in the logs?
Nothing about "Unscanned" messages or timeouts or suchlike?
Also... Tell a bit about versions etc, since this just might be a
known bug/issue...

Cheers
--
-- Glenn