Message rules don't work, but if message forwarded, it does???

Chris Barber cbarber at techquility.net
Thu Nov 6 17:23:33 GMT 2008

> Glenn,
>
> Thanks for the reply. You had me scared for a second there, but no
there
> was no white listing going on. I verified the envelope addresses. This
> issue seems to happen randomly a least a couple times a day to some
> users.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
>Didn't mean to scare you, just point at one (semi-obvious:-)
possibility....:-)
>When it happens do you see anything ... curious .... in the logs?
>Nothing about "Unscanned" messages or timeouts or suchlike?
>Also... Tell a bit about versions etc, since this just might be a
>known bug/issue...
>
>Cheers
>--
>-- Glenn
>email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
>work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se

I don't see anything unusual in the logs. No timeouts and nothing about
unscanned that I can see. MailScanner processes the message normally it
seems.

It gets an SA score, but the only rules that hit are:
0.10 BAYES_50 Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60%
0.00 HTML_MESSAGE HTML included in message
-0.00 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record

Then when the same message is forwarded to me from the user, (Through
the same MailScanner server) the rule hits show:
-0.74 BAYES_20 Bayesian spam probability is 5 to 20%
0.00 HTML_MESSAGE HTML included in message
2.96 URIBL_BLACK Contains an URL listed in the URIBL blacklist
3.50 URIBL_OB_SURBL Contains an URL listed in the OB SURBL blocklist

Notice that now the URL is beting detected, but why not before?

Versions:
Cent OS 5.2
MailScanner 4.72.5
Spamassassin 3.2.5
Perl 5.8.8
MIME::Tools 5.427
HTML::Parser 3.56

Let me know if there are versions of anything else you would like to see

Thanks!
Chris