Mailscanner watermarks and compatibility with other systems

Mikael Syska mikael at syska.dk
Mon May 26 12:17:16 IST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Jonas Akrouh Larsen <jonas at vrt.dk> wrote:
> Hi JP
>

> I think you misunderstand, we do not want to filter at the exchange server,
> we only want to tag outgoing mail. So if we stamp outgoing mail on the
> exchange server, the mailscanner servers can reject backscatter by checking
> for valid watermarks. The backscatter never reaches the exchange servers in
> that case.

So you got a local database of all valid email adresses on each domain
at the MS installation? if so I want to know how you implemented this,
as you are saying that you do not control all systems ? Do you sync
the exchange user db ?
We have disabled all NDR's, cause we dont what to be a backscatter
source, so if you have a good way of implementing the above with
Exchange, i'm listening.

> So we will leave all the filtering to the MS installation, we just enhanve
> the options for filtering out mail by giving MS more things to check for. Ie
> the watermark.

Thats what I'm trying to do ... :-)

// ouT, Mikael Syska