OT: netiquette (was: The Perfect SpamSnake - Ubuntu 8.04 TLS)

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Fri May 2 10:12:38 IST 2008

shuttlebox wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org> wrote:
>
>>  BTW, you didn't see that comment from Res' because it was sent to me,  just
>> thought I would share it with you so you understand how you come across
>> sometimes, take it on board, and make yourself a better person for it...
>>

> Maybe you shouldn't use Res as an example. :-) A guy who got in so
> much trouble on this list he asked to be removed from it himself and
> the wish was granted, then he subscribed again to lurk and posts
> privately to people which all in all is kind of silly if you ask me.
> In my mind Hugo is very reasonable compared to what I have read from
> Res. After all, this list is populated by e-mail admins, if they are
> "educated" about top-posting, how threading works and my favorite -
> trimming replies, they might influence their users and we will have a
> better world. :-)

I agree, but Hugo's reply just pressed my button, far too much tied up
with protocol, rather than just saying thanks.

If you constantly nit-pick over what really are irrellevances you end
with a mailing list tied up with discussions about posting, how to post,
how not to post etc etc, and it becomes worthless, rather like a
playground argument over who said what.

This list is already diluted far too much with self appointed net-cops,
and that really had to be said.  Given the same set of circumstances and
looking back, my only regret is that I wasn't harder on Hugo first time
round.   Res' comment seems right on the money in the case...

--
horizontal ruler

Peter Farrow
Inexcom Logo
Inexcom Ltd
Office: 	08450 949 747
Fax: 	01249 461 548
Mobile: 	07799605617
Skype: 	peter_farrow
Web: 	www.inexcom.co.uk <http://www.inexcom.co.uk>
Registered in England and Wales, number:05598456

dangerous content by the Inexcom system Scanner,
and is believed to be clean.
Advanced heuristic mail scanning server [-].
http://www.inexcom.co.uk