wiki still suggesting ordb

Laramie Combs combslm at appstate.edu
Mon Mar 31 21:31:58 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 3-31-2008 6:10 AM Julian Field spake the following:
>>> Thanks for that. Fixed the problem now. Hopefully other people can
>>> edit the page too.

>>> Jules
>>>
>> Looks to be working now, but the edit now points to a soon to be
>> obsolete since spamhaus recommends to use zen instead of sbl+xbl.
>>
> Didn't know that one. Fixed.
> I've changed the default shipped MailScanner.conf file so it uses
> spamhaus-ZEN by default.
> That should be okay for a new installation shouldn't it?
> I'll add a note saying that they shouldn't use spamhaus lists unless
> they are a low-volume site or they have paid for a direct feed.
>
> Does that sound okay?
>
> Jules

My 2 cents worth says that I don't like zen because it includes the PBL,
which has gotten us into hot water in the past.  There is a discalimer
on their site that says

"Caution: Because the PBL lists normal customer IP space, do not use PBL
on smarthosts or SMTP AUTH outbound servers for your own customers (or
you risk blocking your own customers if their dynamic IPs are in the
PBL). Do not use PBL in filters that do any ‘deep parsing’ of Received
headers, or for other than checking IP addresses that hand off to your
mailservers."

This was the case for us, as these same boxes do in and outbound
traffic, and caused us to start marking our own mail.  Dropping back to
sbl-xbl fixed it for us.

-Laramie