wiki still suggesting ordb

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Mar 31 21:49:35 IST 2008

on 3-31-2008 12:30 PM Julian Field spake the following:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 3-31-2008 6:10 AM Julian Field spake the following:
>>> Thanks for that. Fixed the problem now. Hopefully other people can
>>> edit the page too.

>>> Jules
>>>
>> Looks to be working now, but the edit now points to a soon to be
>> obsolete since spamhaus recommends to use zen instead of sbl+xbl.
>>
> Didn't know that one. Fixed.
> I've changed the default shipped MailScanner.conf file so it uses
> spamhaus-ZEN by default.
> That should be okay for a new installation shouldn't it?
> I'll add a note saying that they shouldn't use spamhaus lists unless
> they are a low-volume site or they have paid for a direct feed.
>
> Does that sound okay?
>
> Jules

I suppose it should be OK because I would hope anybody with a volume of mail
will at least read the config file and make sane choices.
That is until we get the next flood of "My mailscanner install is timing out
and all I have is zen and half a million messages a day"

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

At least when zen blackballs you they just firewall your machines address and
you time out fairly quickly.

There is plenty of docs in the wiki that show the best practices and other
sane choices.

My systems will always have no lists in mailscanner. If I trust the list I
dump it at the MTA, if not I score it in spamassassin and add up the totals.

But I realize that what works for me might not only not work for someone else,
but might be against local regulations.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and