getting all mails blacklisted by relays.ordb.org

Edward Dekkers edward at tdcs.com.au
Sat Mar 29 22:49:45 GMT 2008

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Benedict simon <simon at kmun.gov.kw>
> wrote:
> >  but i would like to know why it was workin earlier for almost a year
> >  and suddenly relays.ordb.org start to give problem
>
> Because ORDB has not been working for 15 months and to stop people
> like you from using it forever they finally delivered hits on every
> query. Woke you up, didn't it? :-)
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/25/2124224
>
> --
> /peter

Hey guys, I'm really honestly am not digging up old trash, but can you guys
help me to become a better admin?

In relation to the various posts here regarding ordb (and myself getting
caught out), I've seen various posts on this list (which is usually rather
friendly) which are bordering on nasty saying "you should've known this was
going to happen".

Most of you guys mention that if we had have been monitoring our logs
properly we could have prevented this.

Now, I must first mention I agree - if something is preventable and I screw
up I'm the first to admit it.

But I have just flogged the hell out of ALL my mail logs (/etc/mail.*) and
all the archived/rotated ones but I cannot find the warning about the black
list going down.

Now, I normally use Logwatch to monitor my logs, that certainly made no
mention, and I cannot seems to find any reference to the ORDB in my other
mail logs.

Again, I'm not making excuses, let me make that really clear! I really do
want to learn. I feel like a fool when I miss something and want to stop it
from happening. Really.

But I cannot seem to find this warning you guys mention.

What do I need to change in my log setup to catch this kind of stuff? Where
is it?

Regards,
Ed.

believed to be clean.