Spam Assasin Timeouts

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 20:12:58 GMT 2008

On 24/03/2008, Mogens Melander <mogens at fumlersoft.dk> wrote:

>  On Mon, March 24, 2008 19:17, Scott Silva wrote:
>  > on 3-24-2008 6:44 AM Mogens Melander spake the following:
>  >> Hi all
>  >>
>  >> I'm also seeing "a lot" of "Message Content Protection SpamAssassin timed out and was killed".
>  >>
>  >> The number of messages recieved per day is stable between 1500 and 2500.
>  >>
>  >> I've been looking at log-files, and can't find anyting to put my finger on, other than the
>  >> number
>  >> of timeout's per date, and system load (increased from 0.1 to 0.3):
>  >>
>  >> "Mar 10"   0 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 11"   0 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 12"   0 timeout's (Updated from MailScanner-4.60.8 to MailScanner-4.67.6-1)
>  >> "Mar 13"   0 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 14"   0 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 15"   0 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 16"  82 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 17" 141 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 18"  45 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 19" 156 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 20" 130 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 21" 110 timeout's
>  >> "Mar 22" 723 timeout's
>  >>
>  >> Hmm, watching the maillog scroll up on the console, i notice that every "MCP Checks: Starting"
>  >> results in a timeout.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > MCP rules are stored in /etc/MailScanner/mcp. What do you have there?
>  >
>  > AFAIR you need a v320.pre file in that directory with a minimum of the following;
>  >
>  >       # Check - Provides main check functionality
>  >       #
>  >       loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Check
>  >

> MailScanner --lint and spamassassin --lint don't give any errors.
>
>  $ MailScanner --lint
This syntax checker isn't that relevant to your problem, far better to
run "MailScanenr --debug --debug-sa" instead, with MailScanner (but
not you MTA) stopped, since that will run through the netwrok tests as
well. Oh, and do look at ps output for the MailScanner children (Jules
rewrite the commandline to show what they're up to ATM)... Will give a
clue as to where they spend time.

>  I got one v320.pre in /etc/MailScanner/mcp
>
>  $ cat /etc/MailScanner/mcp/v320.pre

Hm, I thought it need the the Check plugin... Strange. Perhaps you
have some other pre file there too?

>  # Check - Provides main check functionality
>  #
>  loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Check
>

> And other rules in /etc/mail/spamassassin
>
>  $ ls -1 /etc/mail/spamassassin/
>  70_sare_evilnum0.cf
>  70_sare_random.cf
>  FuzzyOcr.cf
>  FuzzyOcr.log
>  FuzzyOcr.pm
>  FuzzyOcr.words
Fuzzy is a bit of a pig, wrt performance, with a bit debatable worth.
Try disabling it?

>  ImageInfo.pm
>  PDFInfo.pm
>  RulesDuJour/
>  fumlersoft.cf
>  imageinfo.cf
>  init.pre
>  local.cf
>  mailscanner.cf -> /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>  pdfinfo.cf
>  pub.gpg
>  sa-update-keys/
>  tripwire.cf
>  v310.pre
>  v312.pre
>  v320.pre
>
>  No clues anywhere to what causes timeouts.

When you run your SA check, use a real message instead of the --lint
test. The lint doesn't check network tests. The thing above will make
SA show -D output for a real message, and if you have a recent MS...
It'll print timing information as well;-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn