Spam Assasin Timeouts

Mogens Melander mogens at fumlersoft.dk
Mon Mar 24 19:15:22 GMT 2008

On Mon, March 24, 2008 19:17, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 3-24-2008 6:44 AM Mogens Melander spake the following:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm also seeing "a lot" of "Message Content Protection SpamAssassin timed out and was killed".
>>
>> The number of messages recieved per day is stable between 1500 and 2500.
>>
>> I've been looking at log-files, and can't find anyting to put my finger on, other than the
>> number
>> of timeout's per date, and system load (increased from 0.1 to 0.3):
>>
>> "Mar 10"   0 timeout's
>> "Mar 11"   0 timeout's
>> "Mar 12"   0 timeout's (Updated from MailScanner-4.60.8 to MailScanner-4.67.6-1)
>> "Mar 13"   0 timeout's
>> "Mar 14"   0 timeout's
>> "Mar 15"   0 timeout's
>> "Mar 16"  82 timeout's
>> "Mar 17" 141 timeout's
>> "Mar 18"  45 timeout's
>> "Mar 19" 156 timeout's
>> "Mar 20" 130 timeout's
>> "Mar 21" 110 timeout's
>> "Mar 22" 723 timeout's
>>
>> Hmm, watching the maillog scroll up on the console, i notice that every "MCP Checks: Starting"
>> results in a timeout.
>

> MCP rules are stored in /etc/MailScanner/mcp. What do you have there?
>
> AFAIR you need a v320.pre file in that directory with a minimum of the following;
>
>       # Check - Provides main check functionality
>       #
>       loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Check

MailScanner --lint and spamassassin --lint don't give any errors.

$ MailScanner --lint
Trying to setlogsock(unix)
Checking version numbers...
Version number in MailScanner.conf (4.67.6) is correct.

Your envelope_sender_header in spam.assassin.prefs.conf is correct.

Checking for SpamAssassin errors (if you use it)...
SpamAssassin temp dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
SpamAssassin reported no errors.
MailScanner.conf says "Virus Scanners = clamavmodule"
Found these virus scanners installed: clamavmodule
Virus Scanner test reports:
ClamAVModule said "eicar.com was infected: Eicar-Test-Signature"

If any of your virus scanners (clamavmodule)
are not listed there, you should check that they are installed correctly
and that MailScanner is finding them correctly via its virus.scanners.conf.

I got one v320.pre in /etc/MailScanner/mcp

$ cat /etc/MailScanner/mcp/v320.pre

# Check - Provides main check functionality
#
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Check

And other rules in /etc/mail/spamassassin

$ ls -1 /etc/mail/spamassassin/
70_sare_evilnum0.cf
70_sare_random.cf
FuzzyOcr.cf
FuzzyOcr.log
FuzzyOcr.pm
FuzzyOcr.words
ImageInfo.pm
PDFInfo.pm
RulesDuJour/
fumlersoft.cf
imageinfo.cf
init.pre
local.cf
mailscanner.cf -> /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
pdfinfo.cf
pub.gpg
sa-update-keys/
tripwire.cf
v310.pre
v312.pre
v320.pre

No clues anywhere to what causes timeouts.

--
Later

Mogens Melander
+45 40 85 71 38