MailScanner ANNOUNCE: stable 4.67.6 released

Mike W mikew at crucis.net
Tue Mar 4 19:00:49 GMT 2008

I'm a non-guru, so please let me know when I've made a mistake.

I've been unable to get MailScanner to use any anti-virus except for ClamAV.

With that in mind, I deleted MS 4.66.5-3 and downloaded 4.67.6.

I got compile failure in two  modules. perl-Archive-Zip and
Perl-Storable. Install.sh continued and appeared to install
MailScanner.  However, at runtime I get the following error:

[root at cygni MailScanner-4.67.6-1]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner restart
Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:                                      [FAILED]
         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
Waiting for MailScanner to die gracefully  dead.
Starting MailScanner daemons:
         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         MailScanner:        is only avaliable with the XS version at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.
                                                           [  OK  ]

I downloaded perl-Archive-Zip from the Fedora site, re-ran the install
script and still have the same errors.  Running install.sh -nodeps makes
no change.

So, I uninstalled 4.67 and re-ran the 4.65 install script and now it
fails as well.  Obviously I now have a perl conflict but I'm unsure with
which module.  Even with the latest per-Archive-Zip-1.16.1.2.1 from the
Fedora site, the install.sh script still trying to compile a new version.

Anyone point me toward fixing this other than backing out perl and
starting all over again?

Mike W